Friday, February 13, 2009

$5 = $6.57?

I got myself a twofer today. In an effort to be frugal since I splurged on my brakes, I strolled over to the local Subway for a tasty, healthy, low calorie, low cost lunch. Well, kinda. I walk in about 4 seconds before 2 DHL workers in very vibrant red and yellow fleece come in and join me. We are the only customers, and one of the drivers was quite verbose. He gets the full run down on which subs are $5 footlongs.

DHL: Which ones are $5?

THEM: Pretty much all of them, except your "premium" subs, but the chicken bacon is $5, so is the chicken teriyaki, the BMT...

I don't really care about what else he said, I may have even gotten some of the sub names wrong. In any event, DHL guy #1 orders the Chicken Teriyaki. I don't even get upset that he skips me in line.

ME: I'll have a footlong turkey/bacon please.

THEM: Footlong chicken bacon?

Does chicken sound like turkey? Ever?

ME
: No, turkey bacon.

THEM: Oh ok, footlong turkey with bacon.

THEM: Footlong chicken bacon?

There is foreshadowing here, I promise I'm not trying to bore you with the details of my sandwich.

Footlong assembly continues, and the final assembly, including the healthy application of Jared's extra salty microwaved bacon strips, is pawned off to the #2 of this particular Subway. It looks delicious. I'm ready to go.

THEM #2: You want to make that a combo?

ME
: The sandwich is $5 right?

THEM #2: Yes. You want a combo?

ME
: How much is a combo?

THEM #2: $2.49

ME
: No thanks, I just take the sandwich.

I stand there with a $5 and a $1 in my hand, guessing there is sales tax on my $5 footlong.

THEM #2: $6.57 please.

I nearly shit my pants from the shock. $5...times 1.06...equals $5.30, right?

ME: I thought the sandwich was $5?

THEM #2: It is.

ME: So how do you get to $6.57?

THEM #2: Umm the bacon.

ME: How much is the bacon?

THEM #2: $1.20.

ME: Per pound?

ME (at THEM #1): So the chicken bacon is $5 but the turkey bacon is not?

They nod at me with mutual annoyance. I place the same $6 I've been holding ready on the counter and expect a receipt.

THEM #2: $6.57 please.

He's not happy. I think he thought I was trying to bid him down. In truth, I'm just a retard when it comes to paying with cash because I'm so used to swiping plastic. So I quickly admitted I was wrong and added a dollar to my contribution. I left perplexed that my four little strips of fatty pork increased the cost of my sandwich by around 30%. I could have asked him to put 300 black olives and an entire red onion on the thing and the price would have been completely unchanged. But pork....nooo....pork is pricey. That's cool, I can handle a $6 footlong, but the commercial just won't be as catchy.

And why the fuck did he tell me it was $5 right before he rang it up?



No comments:

Post a Comment